I wanted to write a normal post about the race, but so many things went wrong that I just don't know where to start....
So instead of a normal paragraph after paragraph post, I am going to list some pros and cons of the race (from this year).
- It's in Auburn, AL.
- You finish on the 50 yard line in Jordan Hare Stadium
- You start at Toomer's Corner
- You are surrounded by fellow Auburn fans
- You can run any distance (1 mile, 5K, 10K, or [new this year] the half marathon)
- Lack of volunteers on the course (especially at intersections)
- Lack of water (5K was fine, but I heard the 10K and half desperately needed more water)
- Course needs mile markers
- Course needs to be marked properly.
- Volunteers need to be able tell people which way to go instead of sending them the wrong way (a lot of the 10K runners were sent down the fun run route and ended the race short of the 6.2 miles)
- Post race food was blah (where are the bagels? Or cold poweraide?)
- Awards didn't happen because of a malfunction with the timing mats
- No one was handing out medals when I crossed the finish line. I had to go looking for it.
That's just a few things. I hope they listen to peoples suggestions and make next year a lot better than this year.
Will I do this race again? Yeah, absolutely even if though I thought it was unorganized. I love running in Auburn. I love being able to run into the stadium and finish on the 50 yard line. But like I said I hope they will actually listen to people for next years race. This has a lot of potential to be something great but if they keep doing what they are doing,,,it isn't going to last long.
Now with all that being said...
I PR'd on the 5K course. I finished the race in 23:47. I even found out that I placed 3rd in my A/G. :)
I am hoping to get some pictures up soon. I have been super lazy since I got home yesterday to even think about uploading them. Maybe by the time I get mine uploaded the photographer will have theirs uploaded as well.
I'll make a separate post with the pictures. :)