Thursday, October 17, 2013

Allstate 13.1 Recap

I did it! I finished my first half marathon! :) Last Sunday (October 6th) still seems like a dream to me, but when I see the medal hanging it hits me...I actually completed my first half.

Here's a quick recap of what my day was like.

My day started off at 5 AM. Jen, Jill, and I stayed at the Marriott which was 4 miles away from the race. We got to Town of Brookhaven a little after 6 and met up with Brandi.

The race started right at 7 AM. About 5 minutes before the race started they asked people to start moving to estimate time of finish. I knew I would either finish at 2 hours or a little after so Jewell and I got in the 2:00 pace group. 

Five minutes went by quickly because before I knew it the race had started and my group started moving up. 

-Insert freak out mode- 

Some people started running before they even got to the start line, but I opted to walk until I had no choice but to start running. 

Before I knew it....I had crossed the start line. :)

Mile 1 to 5 went by fast. The hills weren't bad. They reminded me of some of the hills I trained on these last 12 weeks.

Between 5 and 6, we had to run back by where we started and would be finishing. I definitely didn't like that part.

Mile 7 - My friend, Kat, was out on the course cheering the runners on and waiting for me and my friend, Jewell, to show up. She made us both signs!! :) During this point in the race I was feeling pretty good. I wasn't going too fast which is what I wanted.

Around mile 8 and 9, I met few other runners who were also running their first half. We stayed together for awhile chatting helping pass the time.

Somewhere between mile 9 and 11, we hit this hill that just kept going and going or so it seemed. I absolutely hated this part of the race. I wanted to stop so bad, but Jewell wasn't going to let me.

Before I knew it I was back on the home stretch making my way back to mile 12 and soon I would be at the finish line. 

After I reached mile 12, the last 1.1 miles seemed to be taking a longer than I wanted to, but I kept on running.

Once we got to that final turn and I could see the finish line I took off using what energy I had left to book it across the finish line.

Once I crossed I found my Mom, who was there to give me my medal. :)

My official time for my first half marathon: 2:07:56

After I was done, I found my way over to the front of the finish line to cheer on the other runners who were making their way to the finish line. That little extra motivation from someone in the crowd really does help. :)

I can honestly say I had an absolute blast. I am ready to do my next half. I am still undecided as to what it will be, but the way things are going right now I see the GA Publix Half being my next. :)

I want to say thank you once again to some special running friends in my life. Brandi, Jen, and Jill....thank you so much for encouragement along the way. I definitely wouldn't have done it without you ladies. :) I can't wait to run another one.

Left to right: Brandi, Me, and Jen. Jill, you should have stuck around for a pic. :P

Kat, thank you so much for getting up early on a Sunday and cheering everyone on and being a great running partner at the group runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Big Peach. :) 

Jewell, thank you again for running with me and keeping me at a steady pace. Oh, and most importantly not letting me quit. Maybe we can run another race sometime. 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Love reading this, you have awesome friends and support and that makes a difference! You are a half-marathoner!!!!!!!! Celebrate missy because you earned it, and that's a great time too!