Wednesday, May 20, 2015

2015 Peach Jam Half Recap

I am starting to wonder if I should stop running half marathons in April because it always seems to rain the days leading up to it. Like last year, we had to worry about rain the day of the race. Luckily, the rain stopped the night before.

The race took place on the Big Creek Greenway out in Cumming, GA. It started and finished at Fowler Park.

The race started at 7:30 sharp. We took off from the parking lot making our way down to the greenway.

It was bit congested until about mile one then it started to thin out.

We had a few puddles and one big one that I remember from last year. I decided I  didn't want to run through it quite yet, so I decided to slow down and tip toe quickly through the mud.

With this race, you don't have that crowd support so it's  a mental game out there. Once we were coming up on the turnaround, I saw a friend from the local running group. She took my picture and cheered me on.



Three miles down. I was thinking to myself, "Why am I doing this again??". I kept pushing through.

Another than the mental game, I was feeling pretty good with the run. I was keeping my pace constant.

Around mile 8, I started chatting with another runner who was running her first half.

We ended up staying together for the rest of the race. She thanked me for pacing her and keeping her motivated to keep going. It was nice to have someone to talk to.

I didn't PR this time around, but it's okay. I got to help pace someone cross the finish line of their first half.

Oh and the most important thing of all and why I ended up signing up for this race......


No comments:

Post a Comment