Monday, July 21, 2014

Tails on the Trails 5K Recap

The race took place at a local park near me, Tribble Mill Park on May 31st. This was my first time running at this park. I knew from talking to a few people that it wasn't going to be an easy race. Of course, not every race is easy, right?

I love doing races that helps raise money for a good cause, so when I found out about this race I really wanted to run it.

It's put on by the You Lucky Dog Rescue. Here's a little information on them taken from their website: "You lucky dog rescue is a IRC 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to the rescue of homeless and abandoned dogs from the high-kill shelters of North Georgia. We believe it is our moral responsibility to save, protect, and improve the lives of these dogs through the help of committed volunteers, foster homes, donors, local veterinarians, and trainers. We strive to re-introduce these dogs to society, assess their individual needs, and provide them with a loving temporary home while matching them with only the best, carefully screened forever homes."

I arrived at the park about an hour before the race to get my race number and shirt. 

I met up my friends Carolyn, her husband, Dwight, and Jen before the race. We all talked before it was time to make our way over to the start line.

Race started a few minutes after 8. 

I loved the course minus the hills. If you know me, you know I am not a hill person. Yes, I am aware I have done a few hilly half marathons in GA. :)

I kept telling myself to take it easy and whatever I do -- DO NOT STOP ON A HILL. It worked. I pushed through them. Before I knew it was making my way to the finish line. 




Right before I crossed the finish line

Since we didn't have timing chips on our bibs, they called out our times as we crossed the finish line and handed us a card to fill out. When I put my card in my age group bin, I noticed that I was the second one. I was pretty sure that I had placed but I was trying not to get my hopes up. Sure enough....I placed!



27:34 was my official time. Second in my age group.

My friends, Jen, Carolyn and her husband, Dwight placed in their age groups as well. :)



And as always the finisher's shirt....




The next recap to come out will be the Peachtree Road Race. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment